Friday, June 30, 2017

Real Men...


In May 1943, Office of War Information photographer John Collier traveled to the timber holdings of the Brown Company in western Maine near the New Hampshire border.

There, he camped out with woodsmen who were tasked with guiding thousands of heavy, slippery logs on the spring pulpwood drive down the Kennebago River and Mooselookmeguntic Lake toward distant pulp and paper mills.

In addition to making portraits of the workers at rest, he captured the men in action as they deftly used pikes to maneuver the pulpwood, even riding the logs themselves to usher them through treacherous waters toward their destination.


LOTS OF IMAGES HERE<< 




  

I found the above article and images from a link that FIREHAND had posted about

a VOLCANO IN A CORNFIELD.  I'm sure you can spend some time over at MASHABLE.

5 comments:

  1. Great story and great pictures. I loved the ending from the farmer who owned the cornfield where it all began.

    "Before leaving for the last time, Pulido returned to what was once his cornfield and planted a sign: “This volcano is owned and operated by Dionisio Pulido."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the story about that volcano when I was a little kid. I think it would have been about '64 or '65. Stuck with me to this day, and I think I was telling someone else that story within the last two weeks.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw logs floating down the river in Maine with the moon light shining down on them as they moved back in the 70's. They looked like large alligators.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Video and music here

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upsZZ2s3xv8

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember watching these guys when I was a kid. I didn't realize how dangerous it was.

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment if you like...